Picture from Scotland - Ballachulish, Scotland

LOCHSCAPES PAGE 2 - PREVIOUS PHOTO - NEXT PHOTO HOME
BALLACHULISH
Ballachulish lies on the south side of Loch Leven, a mile or so west of the village of Glencoe. This started life as Laroch in the 1500s. In 1693 slate was first quarried here in the Ballachulish Slate Quarry (only a year after the Glencoe massacre took place nearby). By the early 1700s this had developed into a major slate quarrying operation which continued for over 250 years until 1955, when the quarry closed. The quarry's name of Ballachulish simply seems to have attached itself to the village over the years.


Ballachulish
Prints of Scotland Thisle
© Prints of Scotland, Station House, Luthrie, Cupar, Fife, Scotland, KY15 4NR - Dave Christopher
Tel. 44 (0) 1337 870436 e-mail dave@printsofscotland.com website design www.dcnetdesign.co.uk

Valid HTML 4.01!