Picture from Scotland - Castle Sween.

LOCHSCAPES PAGE 2 - PREVIOUS PHOTO - NEXT PHOTO - HOME
CASTLE SWEEN - ANCIENT GUARDIAN OF THE SHORES

The Castle was built in the late 12c. by Suibhne, ancestor of the MacSweens, as a quadrangular enclosure with buildings on the inside. Towers were added in the 14c. and 15c from 1262 the Castle was held by the Stewart Earls of Menteith, but after a period in the hands of the MacDonald Lords of The Isles it reverted to the Crown in 1481 when James III apponted as keeper Colin Cambell 1st Earl of Argyll. It was abandoned in 1645.

 

Castle Sween

Prints of Scotland Thisle
© Prints of Scotland, Station House, Luthrie, Cupar, Fife, Scotland, KY15 4NR - Dave Christopher
Tel. 44 (0) 1337 870436 e-mail dave@printsofscotland.com website design www.dcnetdesign.co.uk

Valid HTML 4.01!