Scottish Castles - Craigievar Castle, Scotland

CASTLES 5 - PREVIOUS PHOTO - NEXT PHOTO - HOME
Craigievar Castle, Scotland

Craigievar Castle.
Craigievar Castle is a pinkish harled castle six miles (10 km) south of Alford, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It was the seat of Clan Sempill. The setting is among scenic rolling foothills of the Grampian Mountains. The contrast of its massive lower story structure to the finely sculpted multiple turrets, gargoyles and high corbelling work create a classic fairytale appearance.
An excellent example of the original Scottish Baronial architecture, the great seven-story castle was completed in 1626 by the Aberdonian merchant William Forbes, ancestor to the "Forbes-Sempill family" and brother of the Bishop of Aberdeen. Forbes purchased the partially completed structure from the impoverished Mortimer family in the year 1610. Forbes' nickname was Danzig Willy, a reference to his shrewd international trading success. The Forbes family resided here for 350 years until 1963, when the property was gifted to the National Trust for Scotland

Craigievar Castle

Prints of Scotland Thisle
© Prints of Scotland, Station House, Luthrie, Cupar, Fife, Scotland, KY15 4NR - Dave Christopher
Tel. 44 (0) 1337 870436 e-mail dave@printsofscotland.com website design www.dcnetdesign.co.uk

Valid HTML 4.01!