Picture from Scotland - Scottish Castles and Monuments, Kilmartin Church.

CASTLES - PREVIOUS PHOTO - NEXT PHOTO - HOME
KILMARTIN CHURCH - MID ARGYLL
Kilmartin church, on a gravel terrace on Kilmartin Valley's east side, overlooks several prehistoric monuments. It was built in 1834-5 to replace a church of 1798. The church and grounds contain a fine collection of Medieval graveslabs.

Though most of the large collection of carved stones are later medieval, there are three Early Christian carvings here in the churchyard, and a finely decorated cross in the church, probably from the 9th or 10th century

The modern church and the ancient graveyard dominate the raised terrace on which the village of Kilmartin has developed. The Bronze age Glebe cairn is visible above and to the left of the church. Kilmartin House museum is the white former manse building behind the church.


Kilmartin Church
Prints of Scotland Thisle
© Prints of Scotland, Station House, Luthrie, Cupar, Fife, Scotland, KY15 4NR - Dave Christopher
Tel. 44 (0) 1337 870436 e-mail dave@printsofscotland.com website design www.dcnetdesign.co.uk

Valid HTML 4.01!